Adopted by the Executive Committee, March 29, 1978.
REVISED August 10, 2010
RULES FOR MONTHLY PICTORIAL AND NATURE COMPETITION
1. Competition is open to all paid up members, life members and honorary members.
Those from whom dues are payable must have paid by the November competition, otherwise no entries will be accepted from that person and their prior point accumulation will be forfeited.
2. The Competition Year begins in September and ends in May.
Monthly competition will be on the third Tuesday of each month except for September and May as specified in 2a. The competition dates may be changed by the President when reasonable notice can be given. Advanced notice will be given to all special competitions. All digital images must be submitted to PhotoContest Pro by computer before the specified date.
2A. During the current competition year the following schedule will apply
|September||Projected / Nature|
|November||Projected / Nature|
|January||Projected / Nature|
3. Competitions will be held in the following divisions:
- BLACK & WHITE/MONOCHROME PRINTS
Photographs (film or digital) that have been taken by the entrant, although the processing of the negative does not have to be done by the entrant. The photograph MUST BE SECURELY MOUNTED on mounting board only, but the mounting does not have to be done by the entrant. Entries not securely mounted will not be accepted for that evening’s competition. One color (i.e. hand coloring) may be added. Monochrome prints that have been colored using two or more colors will be classified as Color Prints and not accepted for Monochrome Competition
- COLOR PRINTS
Color photographs (film or digital) that have been taken by the entrant and printed either by the entrant or by a commercial printing facility, although the processing of the negative does not have to be done by the entrant. The photograph must be securely on mounting board only, but the mounting does not have to be done by the entrant
- DIGITAL NATURE
Digital color images only (no prints and no black & white). Nature competitions will be held three times during the competition year with a submission of six, three and three entries. Digital NATURE images may be cropped. For NATURE images the Club will follow the rules of PSA, which, in brief, means that the “Hand of Man” shall not be visible (no houses, roads, fences, etc.); and that no pets or domestic animals or cultivated plants shall be used. Photographs of banded birds are acceptable. For a complete definition of PSA’s nature rules click on the following link: “What Is Nature Photography”.
- DIGITAL PROJECTED OPEN
Color and Black & White accepted. The original images must have been taken by the entrant and with a camera.
4. Competition entries will be judged in three classes:
Beginner (Class “B”), Advanced (Class “A”), and Salon. Competitors will be classified according to ability. If a member competes in nature, pictorial and prints, he or she may be assigned to different classes for each.
5. New members will be assigned to Class “B “,
unless the Nature, Pictorial and Print Chairperson determines that Class “A” is indicated. This may be decided when a new member joins or within a reasonable time. No new members will be permitted into Salon Class.
6. Except for new members, class changes may only be made at the end of a Competition Year.
A member in Class B receiving high score or seven (7) or more acceptances in monthly competition year will be promoted to Class A. Class “A” high point total winner(s) only will be moved up to the Salon Class. This will apply to all divisions. Advancement into the Salon Class can only occur from advancement from Class “A”.
7a. Print entries must be in the committees’ hands on competition nights prior to 8PM.
The official club entry form, photocopy or reasonable facsimile must be used. See how to fill in the form.
7b. DIGITAL entries must be submitted electronically
as per digital preparation, which can be found under Digital comepetitions rules, to the PhotoContest Pro website according to the schedule. Slides, negatives, and prints may be scanned and submitted to the PhotoContest Pro as a digital image as explained above.
8. Entries will be scored by the judge from 3 to 9 points.
9 is a medal; 8 is an award; and 7 is an honorable mention. In computing point accumulations one extra point will be credited for each entry submitted for the first time.
9. Accepted entries, those entries that already received a point for a 7, 8 or 9 may not be re-submitted in any other division at any time or in any form ever, except in the current-year-end competition.
10. An entry that is different but similar to an entry already judged will not be considered a new entry.
If an entry is determined to be similar, the extra point will be deducted. The category chairperson will determine if an entry is identical or similar. If an identical entry is submitted it will be disqualified.
11. An “improved” entry, whether reprinted, remounted, is not a new entry, and will be disqualified.
12. A derivation, solarization, etc., of a previous entry will be considered a new entry.
13. Entries scoring six (6) or less may be resubmitted as originally presented in the same category, in the same club competition year, without the benefit of the extra point.
In a digital entry, the title must start with an “X” so that the scorekeeper is aware that this entry is resubmitted. Example “XFlower” or “XGreat Landscape”. In print competition on the entry form the new entry column is NOT checked off if a print is resubmitted.
13. Any member may submit only one TCC “studio night” picture in monthly competition, in each division.
14. All entries must have titles.
An entry submitted with “no title” or “untitled” will not be accepted for competition. The titles on the entry form must agree with the title on the back of the print.
15. Prints must be labeled clearly —
with maker’s name, class and the title printed boldly in the upper right hand corner back of the mounting board and the label must be securely fashion. No Post It notes are allowed. There will be no writing on the front of the print mount. Title must match on print entry form and label.
16. Maximum print size is 16″ X 20″ including mount.
Minimum print size shall be 80 square inches exclusive of mounting. Nothing shall be attached to the mounting board except the print, i.e. frames, wires, hooks and glass.
17. A member who has missed a competition or submitted less than 4 entries shall be allowed to submit makeup entries in the regular competition immediately following thereof.
This “grace” may be granted to each member only once during the competition year. New members are allowed to submit a makeup entry for one missed competition for Digital Pictorial and/or Print. No makeup opportunities will be allowed in Nature.
18. The division chairperson shall be charged with monitoring entries and making appropriate decisions to ensure that all rules are complied with.
19. All questions and disputes by any member regarding the chairperson’s decision shall be resolved by the President, Vice President and the appropriate division chairperson.
20. Minimum entrants per class for monthly competitions will be one, with an option for that one person to compete in the next highest level if possible.
RULES FOR DIGITAL AND PRINT OF THE YEAR COMPETITION
1. The year-end competition will consist of three categories:
(1) Digital Pictorial/Nature, (2) Monochrome/Black & White prints, (3) Color prints.
2. All entries regardless of score can be entered in the year end competition with a maximum of 4 entries per person per category.
3. The member shall select the entry.
4. The entrant does not have to be present at the competition. The minimum number of entrants necessary to allow the presentation of a digital image pictorial and/or nature or print of the year award shall be two (2). If there is only one, the entrant shall be given the opportunity of being judged with the next higher class.
5. All competitors for Prints (Color or Black & White) must have entered a minimum of ten (10) new entries in each category. In digital competition the TOTAL of 10 new images must have been entered in the Pictorial category. Then the entrant can choose from any one of their nature or pictorial images for the year end choice of 4 images.